How to choose dog food?
1.Types of feed
The choice of how to feed your dog is unlimited: dry food, canned food, semi-moist food, our usual human food, or a mixture of these types of food. When choosing, many factors are important: cost, nutritional value, convenience, taste, possible allergies, availability, etc. What is perfect for your neighbor’s dog may not be yours. Do not feed the dog what it does not like. If the dog does not want to eat purchased food, do not starve it, experiment, buy small packets of food for testing. The difference between good and bad food is not very noticeable in price, however, this difference can add several years to your dog a healthy life.
2. Dry (granular) feed.
Granular feed is made mainly from corn, rice and soybeans. In the feeds of reputable brands, the main ingredient is meat and fish, such feeds are a bit more expensive, but buying them is more profitable, because your dog will need less food to satisfy his hunger. Granular feed contains calories in concentrated form, while canned food contains much more water. Large dogs find it difficult to satisfy calorie needs by eating only prepared canned food. If you have a large dog, buy granular food – this is the most practical option. There is an opinion that granular feed helps keep the dog’s teeth in good condition. Some facts suggest that solid, dry foods actually slow down the development of gum and tooth diseases, but does not stop it completely. Do not forget to regularly brush your dog with teeth – this will keep them in good condition for a long time.
3. Canned food.
Some types of this dog food have an unpleasant smell, but in most cases, dogs prefer canned food — both by smell and taste. To buy the best food, look at the label. Look for food with the main ingredient in the form of meat, fish or poultry. In low-quality canned food, the main ingredient is water, such food consists of more than 80% of water. Whole vegetables are added to good canned food, rather than rice bran, rice flour and brewing rice.
Such feeds are sold in small packages. In most cases, this food looks good, but almost all of its components are absolutely not suitable for the dog. This type of feed is supersaturated with sugar; moreover, it consists of about 50% water. These substances are not needed by the dog, they will only contribute to the development of obesity and tooth decay. The shelf life of such feed is minimal.
How to feed a dog?
This question always worries a happy dog owner . Each of us wants to pamper our tailed friend, but at the same time maintain his health and vitality. And we all know that a lot depends on what and how our pet eats. And with the modern rhythm of life, it becomes important that feeding a dog does not require a lot of trouble. Let’s try to figure out what key points to consider when compiling a dog menu.
General Dog Nutrition
There are several general rules for feeding a dog:
- The pet should be fed after a walk, as eat before bowel and bladder emptying is harmful to health.
- In dogs, unlike cats, food should not be freely available for the whole day. If your pet has not eaten his breakfast or dinner, remove the food after a while until the next feeding.
- Try to show courage and resist this begging and sad look and not give the dog tidbits from your table. Otherwise, the gastric juice will be secreted by the dog during the owner’s meal, which is harmful.
- If possible, adhere to the regime and feed the dog at about the same time of the day. Most veterinarians believe that small and medium dogs should be fed twice a day, and large dogs weighing more than 30-35 kg – once a day.
- Avoid active games and great physical exertion immediately after feeding – this is fraught with the risk of an inversion of the stomach in the dog.
- If your pet has an indigestion, it should not be fed until the symptoms have stopped or the veterinarian has made a diagnosis.
- Do not overfeed the dog! Remember that your pet is an evolutionary descendant of predatory animals and it may practically have no feeling of satiation directly with food. And obesity and overweight not only worsen the quality of life of the dog, but can also lead to serious health problems.
- It is advisable to always keep bowls with water and food for the dog in one place of the apartment. It is very useful to use bowls on a stand with adjustable height – for a dog (especially a large one), eating without tilting your head down is much more natural and pleasant. In addition, the bowls on the stands will not slide on the floor and this is also convenient.
- Keep your dog calm while eating. No need to distract the dog, talk with her, explain to the children that the pet is having lunch and does not need to disturb him.
- Always ensure that your dog has fresh drinking water in the bowl that should be replaced regularly.
Dog food types
1. Dry food
Dry food is dog food containing less than 10% of water . It is characterized by a long shelf life after opening and excellent cost performance . Most are heat-foamed and solid. It is a crisp type that is commonly used.
It also has the advantage that plaque is less likely to adhere to teeth, and comes in various forms such as granules and flakes. Because the water content is low, it is good to add water, such as raising or sprinkling with water .
2. Soft dry food
Dog food with a moisture content of 25% to 35% . It is inflated in the same way as dry food, and is characterized by being moist . We use a wet conditioner to keep you moist .
Although it has been heated and foamed, it must be carefully stored to prevent mold growth because it contains a lot of water .
3. Semi-moist food
A dog food with a water content of about 25% to 35%, comparable to soft dry food. Unlike dry and soft dry foods, they do not inflate and have a soft texture.
Moisture is maintained by the moisture conditioner, but if left unattended, the water will fly and become harder, so care must be taken when storing.
4. Wet food
Very soft dog food with a water content of around 75%. Packed in cans, retort pouches and aluminum trays . There are oatmeal types that use meat and fish as raw materials, and ration types that add vegetables and vitamins to them .
Dog food that can be stored for a long time if not opened . However, although it has been sterilized for quality preservation, it is easily damaged after opening, so please use it as soon as possible .