HOW TO CHOOSE DOG FOOD?
1.Feed selection by dog age
By age, dog food is divided into 4 main groups:
- Starter puppy food – designed for the smallest puppies who have stopped feeding on their mother’s milk.
- Food for puppies of the first year of life – “Junior”
- Dog food from 1 to 8 years old (adults) – “Adult”
- Dog food for older dogs (aging, for those over 8 years old) – Senior
Such a separation by the age of the animal is necessary due to the fact that the digestive system (with different intensities) develops differently at each age. That is why it is important to comply with age criteria when choosing food.
Each age group has a different food composition, for example, for puppies, fats and glucose should prevail in the composition (which makes the composition similar to breast milk). But older pets should receive food with a high content of protein, fiber and carbohydrates.
2.Dog lifestyle choices
- All dog foods are divided into three main categories depending on the activity of your pet.
- “Active” or “Energy” – suitable for active dogs – hunting, sports, business, which are energetic throughout the day, they need additional sources of nutrients and energy.
- “Normal” or “Standart” – for pets who lead a moderately active lifestyle. Suitable for dogs often walking, active, young. This food contains the best combination and amount of nutrients.
- “Senior” – is mainly purchased for aging dogs, as well as for those dogs that lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Always focus on the activity of your pet, each dog has its own needs for proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
3.Feed selection by type
There are three types of food, depending on the specific needs of the animal:
- Medical food – produced specifically for dogs with certain health deviations. The food is prescribed by the veterinarian, it must be consumed strictly according to the instructions. Medical food for dogs can only be purchased from premium manufacturers.
- Specialized food – created to prevent and eliminate pet health problems (obesity, digestive and urinary system disorders, as well as for sterilized animals)
- Daily food – for healthy dogs, this food is great for a daily diet.
Important! Closely monitor the daily feed rate, do not overfeed your pet, its health and longevity depend on it.
How to give a dog dry food according to the regimen
An important point when feeding dogs is compliance with the regime. Giving food to an adult dog is recommended twice a day, at the same time. The dosage of dry food that you determined from the table should be divided into two equal portions. Each of them must be poured into a bowl at the appointed time. For example, at 7.00 and 19.00 or at 8.00 and 20.00. The schedule of meals may be different, the main thing is that it does not conflict with your work schedule and is observed daily.
Between meals, do not leave dry food in the public domain (the exception is the lactation period, as we wrote above). If the dog has not mastered all the food offered or completely ignored it, hide the bowl until the next feeding. Then continue feeding according to the usual schedule and in the usual volume. This approach prevents overfeeding and promotes discipline.
Feed after a walk, not before
This rule is intuitively fulfilled by most owners, but it will not be superfluous to recall it again.
Since childhood, we are accustomed to eating appetite first, and then you can eat. In the case of dogs, there is another good reason for this sequence of actions: physical activity immediately after eating increases the risk of stomach upset in dogs prone to it. This is a dangerous condition, which is accompanied by a rapid increase in the volume of the abdomen and a sharp deterioration in the well-being of the animal.
Without surgery, stomach twisting leads to the death of the dog within a few hours. Representatives of large and giant breeds are especially prone to this misfortune. Therefore, you need to give food strictly after a walk, and not before.
Types of dog food you need to know
Dog food is lined up at pet shops and home centers.
I’m wondering which one to choose.
It is called “dog food” at once, but there are many types.
These vary depending on the purpose of feeding, the size, age , dog breed, and physical condition of the dog.
1: Comprehensive nutritional food
Here is dog food that you can eat daily as regular rice.
Depending on the amount of water, it is divided into dry type, half-life moist type, canned and retort wet type, etc.
In addition, the target ages are divided for young dogs, adult dogs, seniors, and large dogs, medium dogs, small dogs and dogs, and recently the target dog breeds are limited Food is also sold.
2: Snacks In
addition to meals, foods that are given as snacks are foods for snacks.
There are many shapes, such as biscuits, jerky, gum, dry matter.
Snacks are also often divided into large, medium and small types depending on the size of the dog.
3: Other target foods
Foods that are neither of the above two are here.
There are sprinkles that are added to the usual diet, side dishes, special diets for sick diets, and dietary supplements that can take in specific nutrients, like human supplements.