HOW TO CHOOSE DOG FOOD?
1.Feed selection by dog age
By age, dog food is divided into 4 main groups:
- Starter puppy food – designed for the smallest puppies who have stopped feeding on their mother’s milk.
- Food for puppies of the first year of life – “Junior”
- Dog food from 1 to 8 years old (adults) – “Adult”
- Dog food for older dogs (aging, for those over 8 years old) – Senior
Such a separation by the age of the animal is necessary due to the fact that the digestive system (with different intensities) develops differently at each age. That is why it is important to comply with age criteria when choosing food.
Each age group has a different food composition, for example, for puppies, fats and glucose should prevail in the composition (which makes the composition similar to breast milk). But older pets should receive food with a high content of protein, fiber and carbohydrates.
2.Dog lifestyle choices
- All dog foods are divided into three main categories depending on the activity of your pet.
- “Active” or “Energy” – suitable for active dogs – hunting, sports, business, which are energetic throughout the day, they need additional sources of nutrients and energy.
- “Normal” or “Standart” – for pets who lead a moderately active lifestyle. Suitable for dogs often walking, active, young. This food contains the best combination and amount of nutrients.
- “Senior” – is mainly purchased for aging dogs, as well as for those dogs that lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Always focus on the activity of your pet, each dog has its own needs for proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
3.Feed selection by type
There are three types of food, depending on the specific needs of the animal:
- Medical food – produced specifically for dogs with certain health deviations. The food is prescribed by the veterinarian, it must be consumed strictly according to the instructions. Medical food for dogs can only be purchased from premium manufacturers.
- Specialized food – created to prevent and eliminate pet health problems (obesity, digestive and urinary system disorders, as well as for sterilized animals)
- Daily food – for healthy dogs, this food is great for a daily diet.
Important! Closely monitor the daily feed rate, do not overfeed your pet, its health and longevity depend on it.
How to feed a dog?
This question always worries a happy dog owner . Each of us wants to pamper our tailed friend, but at the same time maintain his health and vitality. And we all know that a lot depends on what and how our pet eats. And with the modern rhythm of life, it becomes important that feeding a dog does not require a lot of trouble. Let’s try to figure out what key points to consider when compiling a dog menu.
General Dog Nutrition
There are several general rules for feeding a dog:
- The pet should be fed after a walk, as eat before bowel and bladder emptying is harmful to health.
- In dogs, unlike cats, food should not be freely available for the whole day. If your pet has not eaten his breakfast or dinner, remove the food after a while until the next feeding.
- Try to show courage and resist this begging and sad look and not give the dog tidbits from your table. Otherwise, the gastric juice will be secreted by the dog during the owner’s meal, which is harmful.
- If possible, adhere to the regime and feed the dog at about the same time of the day. Most veterinarians believe that small and medium dogs should be fed twice a day, and large dogs weighing more than 30-35 kg – once a day.
- Avoid active games and great physical exertion immediately after feeding – this is fraught with the risk of an inversion of the stomach in the dog.
- If your pet has an indigestion, it should not be fed until the symptoms have stopped or the veterinarian has made a diagnosis.
- Do not overfeed the dog! Remember that your pet is an evolutionary descendant of predatory animals and it may practically have no feeling of satiation directly with food. And obesity and overweight not only worsen the quality of life of the dog, but can also lead to serious health problems.
- It is advisable to always keep bowls with water and food for the dog in one place of the apartment. It is very useful to use bowls on a stand with adjustable height – for a dog (especially a large one), eating without tilting your head down is much more natural and pleasant. In addition, the bowls on the stands will not slide on the floor and this is also convenient.
- Keep your dog calm while eating. No need to distract the dog, talk with her, explain to the children that the pet is having lunch and does not need to disturb him.
- Always ensure that your dog has fresh drinking water in the bowl that should be replaced regularly.
Types of dog food you need to know
Dog food is lined up at pet shops and home centers.
I’m wondering which one to choose.
It is called “dog food” at once, but there are many types.
These vary depending on the purpose of feeding, the size, age , dog breed, and physical condition of the dog.
1: Comprehensive nutritional food
Here is dog food that you can eat daily as regular rice.
Depending on the amount of water, it is divided into dry type, half-life moist type, canned and retort wet type, etc.
In addition, the target ages are divided for young dogs, adult dogs, seniors, and large dogs, medium dogs, small dogs and dogs, and recently the target dog breeds are limited Food is also sold.
2: Snacks In
addition to meals, foods that are given as snacks are foods for snacks.
There are many shapes, such as biscuits, jerky, gum, dry matter.
Snacks are also often divided into large, medium and small types depending on the size of the dog.
3: Other target foods
Foods that are neither of the above two are here.
There are sprinkles that are added to the usual diet, side dishes, special diets for sick diets, and dietary supplements that can take in specific nutrients, like human supplements.