How to choose a dry dog food
Dry food should not only be of high quality, but also suitable for this particular dog. First of all, you need to choose food by age group, since food intended for puppies will be harmful to an adult dog, and vice versa.
1.Puppy food is rich not only in vitamins and minerals, but also in nutrients. Indeed, rapid growth requires energy and building material. Therefore, puppy food contains an increased amount of protein and fat. Usually it is 27-30 and 16-18 percent, respectively.
2.For an adult dog, all this will be redundant. In the feed for this, the largest group, protein and fat make up 22-26 and 12-15 percent. Manufacturers, as a rule, offer for this age group not only a wide range of food tastes, but also options that provide for the lifestyle of dogs – their greater or lesser activity.
3.In older dogs, mobility decreases, metabolic processes slow down. In order to avoid obesity and overload on internal organs, the caloric content of feed is reduced, and protein and fat make up only 19-22 and 10-12 percent of most manufacturers. The complex of vitamins in the feed for the elderly is also selected in accordance with age.
In addition to age, the size of the dog is an important factor . In accordance with this indicator, not only the size of the granules varies, but also some biological features. For example, the metabolism of small dogs is slightly higher than that of their large counterparts, so the composition of the feed is slightly different.
But, of course, the most important thing in the feed is its quality composition . Even if the food is positioned as puppy, but is economy-class or commercial, then nothing good will come of feeding the puppy. It is better to spend a little of your time, deal with the classification of feeds and choose a quality food for your puppy that will benefit the dog, and not just the manufacturer of the feed.
How to feed a dog?
This question always worries a happy dog owner . Each of us wants to pamper our tailed friend, but at the same time maintain his health and vitality. And we all know that a lot depends on what and how our pet eats. And with the modern rhythm of life, it becomes important that feeding a dog does not require a lot of trouble. Let’s try to figure out what key points to consider when compiling a dog menu.
General Dog Nutrition
There are several general rules for feeding a dog:
- The pet should be fed after a walk, as eat before bowel and bladder emptying is harmful to health.
- In dogs, unlike cats, food should not be freely available for the whole day. If your pet has not eaten his breakfast or dinner, remove the food after a while until the next feeding.
- Try to show courage and resist this begging and sad look and not give the dog tidbits from your table. Otherwise, the gastric juice will be secreted by the dog during the owner’s meal, which is harmful.
- If possible, adhere to the regime and feed the dog at about the same time of the day. Most veterinarians believe that small and medium dogs should be fed twice a day, and large dogs weighing more than 30-35 kg – once a day.
- Avoid active games and great physical exertion immediately after feeding – this is fraught with the risk of an inversion of the stomach in the dog.
- If your pet has an indigestion, it should not be fed until the symptoms have stopped or the veterinarian has made a diagnosis.
- Do not overfeed the dog! Remember that your pet is an evolutionary descendant of predatory animals and it may practically have no feeling of satiation directly with food. And obesity and overweight not only worsen the quality of life of the dog, but can also lead to serious health problems.
- It is advisable to always keep bowls with water and food for the dog in one place of the apartment. It is very useful to use bowls on a stand with adjustable height – for a dog (especially a large one), eating without tilting your head down is much more natural and pleasant. In addition, the bowls on the stands will not slide on the floor and this is also convenient.
- Keep your dog calm while eating. No need to distract the dog, talk with her, explain to the children that the pet is having lunch and does not need to disturb him.
- Always ensure that your dog has fresh drinking water in the bowl that should be replaced regularly.
Dog food types
There are many types of dog food, and there are various ways to divide them according to age and purpose. Here, we introduce each feature classified by shape.
This is the most popular form of dog food. Animal and vegetable foods are blended in a well-balanced, hardened and dried form. The feature is that it can be stored for a long period of time and does not require much effort when giving.
This is a dog food that contains a lot of water and is sold in cans and pouches. Many dogs prefer, but it is ideal to use dry food and wet food depending on your dog’s condition.
Semi-dry food / semi-moist food
This dog food is located between the crisp dry food and the soft wet food.
How to choose dog food by physiqueFirst, choose dog food according to your dog’s physique. There is no definition of size, but the point is to choose according to the weight and size of your dog.
Large dogs such as the Golden Retriever and Siberian Husky are surprisingly delicate. Due to the sensitivity of the digestive system, you need to choose a dog food that does not strain your stomach.
Medium-sized dogs such as Shiba Inu and Corgi are active and energetic, so please choose dog food that contains high protein and a good balance of lipids.
For small dogs such as maltese and dachshunds, it is desirable to use dog food that has a small food shape or is fine and easy to eat.